Home » ENGAGE CNY
CNY Arts spearheaded a governor-awarded effort to find better ways to engage and connect arts, culture, and heritage as a way to boost regional vitality to attract visitors to our region and increase the quality of life for all Central New Yorkers
The first phase of this project entailed a regional survey of the needs of our population and an inventory of our arts and cultural assets in Cortland, Herkimer, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, and Oswego counties.
From August 1 through October 15, we have:
Received over 7100 public opinion surveys
Surveyed 500 artist and creative individuals
Heard from 120 arts, culture, history, and heritage-based organizations
Conducted over 50 focus groups
Our research team is hard at work analyzing the data and formulating a comprehensive and transformative cultural plan.
This process could not have taken place without our fantastic Leadership Advisory Council, Regional Arts Captains, volunteers and countless others who offered their services distributing surveys, conducting focus groups, and helping us reach our goals.
For a list of Leadership Advisors and Regional Arts Captains, click here.
Our aim is to find the answers to these questions:
- What cultural activities do residents and visitors in the six-county region (Cortland, Herkimer, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, and Oswego) want?
- What resources exist to respond to resident and visitor appetites, and what’s needed?
- How could arts and culture help propel Central New York’s priorities including economic growth and quality of life?
- What would successful regional cultural development require in terms of infrastructure and sustainability?
Our objectives are to:
- Provide a comprehensive inventory of the arts, culture, history, and heritage delivery system in Central New York (both individual artists and organizations), especially existing local partnerships between arts organizations and their communities (schools, libraries, local festivals, churches,local government, industry, and more).
- More closely integrate cultural development with Central New York agendas such as economic development, community livability, tourism, neighborhood development, and quality of life.
- Cultivate broad-based community thinking, ideas, and enthusiasm as to how Central New York’s arts, culture, history, and heritage delivery system could become even more relevant and more vital.
- Determine who in Central New York is being reached by current programming (and what kinds of programming), who is not, and how to expand access.
- Assess CNY Arts’ structure, operations, and programming and make recommendations to improve and strengthen its efficiency and effectiveness – especially given expectations of the plan (and CNY Arts once it is completed).
- Provide a comprehensive cultural assessment and plan and a clear road map for CNY Arts’ successful plan implementation.
For information on concerts, theater, exhibitions and more, visit our events calendar at gotocnyarts.org.