Justin White, Oswego County Historian, will lead a walking tour of the Montcalm Park Historic District. Starting at the SW corner of West 6th and Seneca Street in the City of Oswego, this walking lecture will include architecture, architects, historic significance, family histories of builders and occupants, and lots of interesting tidbits of Oswego history.

The Montcalm Park Historic District was listed on the national Register of Historic Places in 2001. The centerpiece of the Montcalm Park Historic District is Montcalm Park. The two-acre triangular park, while present in the nineteenth century, was landscaped and formally dedicated in 1913. The park features elliptical and circular concrete walkways, ornamental trees and plantings (many of which are more than fifty years old) and a wrought iron perimeter fence. A small portion of the park is separated by West Van Buren Street and features a large boulder with an elliptical bronze plaque. The plaque marks and commemorates the approximate site of Fort George, a British earthwork built in 1755 to support Fort Oswego.

Prominent historic homes in the district date from the 1840’s to the early 20th century.

Rain or shine.

No charge.