Young Artist Scholarship Program
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, October 14, 2022, at 11:59 PM (Round II)
WHO MAY APPLY: Students in grades 7-12, residing permanently in the 53rd NYS Senate District
AWARD AMOUNT: $100 - $3,000
PROGRAM PERIOD: Saturday, January 1, 2022 – Saturday, December 31, 2022
Scholarship grantees may use awarded funds for the following expenses:
- Tuition & private instruction fees;
- Registration & participation fees;
- Audition & application fees;
- Equipment rental; and
- Room & board.
Scholarships will be paid directly to the institution and cannot be paid directly to the young artist. CNY Arts will not accept reimbursement requests. Please direct all questions regarding expense eligibility to the Regrants Program Staff.
- Equipment purchases, including but not limited to instruments, cameras & lenses, computers;
- Supplies & material purchases, including but not limited to costumes, pointe shoes, sheet music, art supplies;
- Tuition for college or any other higher education tuition, including room & board (pre-college courses and intensives are eligible);
- Costs associated with any program or activity that takes place outside of New York State; or
- Payments to organizations, businesses, or instructors that are registered outside of New York State.
Awards are based on a competitive panel review process. A panel comprised of artists, and arts administrators review each applicant and program on the basis of its own merits and against others in the application pool. Limited funds are available and priority will be given to applications that meet the criteria and priorities below. Within each funding cycle, review panels make every effort to see that grants are awarded to applicants that reflect diversity of artistic interests and disciplines.
- Demonstrated talent of applicant
- Demonstrated merit of arts program
- Benefit to applicant from opportunity
- First-time applicants
- Applicants pursuing the arts as a possible career
The panel is composed entirely of individuals with no financial interest in any arts education program that is eligible for funding.
Applications must be submitted in their entirety, online only through Submittable (cnyarts.submittable.com) by Friday, October 14, 2022, at 11:59 PM. Late applications will not be considered. No exceptions will be made whatsoever. Anything submitted to CNY Arts outside of Submittable such as email, fax, drop-off, or mail will not be accepted or considered by the review panel.
You will receive an email confirmation shortly after submittal. If you do not receive one, your application has not been successfully received and may not be considered for funding.
*YOUNG ARTIST LETTER: A letter from the applicant that explains in their own words how they will benefit from this opportunity and why are the arts important to their life. The letter should not exceed one page and should also respond to the following questions:
- What is your level of competency in your area of study at this time?
- What are your goals for the future in your field of study?
- Describe the program you wish to attend and discuss how the program will support your artistic growth and education.
*SPONSOR LETTER: A letter from the “sponsor” could be a teacher, mentor, or advisor and should reflect the potential of the student’s abilities in a specific discipline. Please include an honest critical evaluation of the student and how they have progressed in their art form. Please also respond to the following questions:
- How long have you known the candidate?
- Why do you think the candidate deserves this award?
- Describe the candidate’s ability and potential for improvement.
*STUDENT RESUME or a COMPREHENSIVE LIST of:
- Competitions in which you have participated
- Any awards received
- Performances you have participated in
- Other honorary citations
PARENT/GUARDIAN LETTER (optional). A letter from the Parent / Guardian including opinions about the following points:
- How would you describe the applicant’s progress in his/her field of study?
- How does the applicant show special talents and abilities toward reaching his/her goal?
- Why should the applicant receive this award?
By applying to the Young Artist Scholarship Program, you agree, if awarded, to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Sign and complete a Program Registration form through Submittable
- Conduct all activities as described in your application and in compliance with the scholarship guidelines
- Immediately notify CNY Arts in writing regarding changes to your scholarship. All changes to your scholarship are subject to approval by CNY Arts
- Furnish CNY Arts with any requested information about scholarship program or scholarship student
- Send a thank you note to Senator Rachel May, and a copy to CNY Arts